Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Spinach stuffed chicken

Going through the cabinets and fridge trying to materialize something out of not much of anything creates a challenge... a challenge that I won! This is what I decided to make for supper tonight with a few modifications:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts/Detail.aspx

This sounded great, but when I scrolled down to the nutrition facts I let out a gasp at the 40g of Fat and 500+ calories. Blah. No wonder it sounded so good.... Anyways, I did not have any feta cheese at the house so for the spinach mixture I used 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese instead. I omitted the mayo completely (didn't have mayo anyway) and used 1 egg mixed with the spinach and cheese. I also used 7oz. of mushrooms and 1tsp of garlic, which I chopped in my food processor and mixed it in as well. I followed the directions for stuffing the chicken except I didn't butterfly... b-c all I had on hand were thin cut chkn breasts...so I just rolled it over the mixture. I wrapped them with prosciutto instead of bacon (again to cut down on fat content) and used a toothpick to hold them together. I sprinkled some pepper and EVOO on top and baked in oven as directed. Served it up with instant mashed potatoes and english peas. Quick & easy:) Cannot believe I just got my husband to eat spinach! =Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment